I know the recipe for this chocolate fudge cake off by heart! It's ridiculously simple and always delicious.
This cake is fudgy and dense with a intense chocolate flavour. Best of all, it can be made with just a few pantry staples!
All you need to do is mix and bake! I love making this cake for a quick dessert and serving it up with a dollop of whipped cream and fresh berries.
- 1 ½ cups self-raising flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 ½ cups caster sugar
- ½ cup boiling water
- ¾ cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (355°F). Grease and line a 20 cm (8 inch) round cake tin with baking paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder and salt together and whisk until combined.
- In a separate medium mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar and boiling water until sugar has partially dissolved. Whisk in the oil, vinegar, and vanilla essence.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and fold with a spatula until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin. Bake for 45 minutes or until the cake doesn't wobble and a skewer inserted comes out mostly clean. Allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- You can keep the cake un-refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- To freeze the cake, allow to cool completely then wrap tightly in clingwrap then place in a zip-loc or freezer bag. Keep for up to 6 months frozen. To thaw, allow to defrost at room temperature for 6 hours or overnight.
Substitutions & Tips
- You can substitute 1 ½ cups of self-raising flour with 1 ½ cups of plain flour combined with 3 teaspoon baking powder.
- You can substitute the canola oil with any unflavoured vegetable oil. Note that if you use a rich olive oil it may change the flavour of the cake.
- You can find detailed instructions and photographs on my Instructable.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1/10th of Cake
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 342Total Fat: 17.9gSaturated Fat: 1.2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 0.8mgCarbohydrates: 43.7gFiber: 2.2gSugar: 29.7gProtein: 2.6g