This two (yes, two) ingredient mug cake is absolutely magic. With just ice cream and self-raising flour, you can make yourself the softest, fluffiest single serve mug cake in under 5 minutes! You have to try this one to believe it. I top mine with even more ice cream, but you can use any of your favourite toppings like sprinkles, chocolate chips, or chocolate sauce.
What is a 2 Ingredient Mug Cake?
A 2 ingredient mug cake is a quick and easy mini cake that requires only two simple ingredients to make. The first ingredient in the cake is self-raising flour, which already contains baking powder, giving the cake a fluffy texture. The second ingredient can be any flavour of ice cream, which adds both sweetness and moisture to the cake. Believe it or not, you don't need any additional eggs or sugar to make this cake complete!
This recipe is perfect for those who want to enjoy a delicious cake but don't have the time or energy to make a full-size cake from scratch. Plus, since the cake is made in a mug and cooked in the microwave, it's also an easy sweet treat for anyone who lives in a small space or doesn't have access to an oven. With just two ingredients and a few minutes of prep time, you can have a delish cake ready to enjoy!
Ingredients in a 2 Ingredient Mug Cake
Self-raising flour plays a crucial role in making a 2 ingredient mug cake. Unlike regular plain (all-purpose) flour, self-raising flour already contains a leavening agent, usually baking powder, which helps the cake to rise and become light and fluffy. This means that you don't have to worry about measuring and adding extra baking powder to the recipe, making it a convenient option for those who want to make a quick and easy cake without a lot of fuss.
Can I use plain / all-purpose flour instead?
If you want to use plain / all-purpose flour instead of self-raising flour, you will need to also add ½ teaspoon of baking powder as a leavening agent to make the cake light and fluffy.
Can I use gluten-free self-raising flour?
Yes! Use a high quality gluten-free self-raising flour in place of wheat flour.
Ice cream is the magic ingredient in this mug cake! It is essential for adding flavour, moisture and fat to produce a thick and creamy cake batter that is fluffy and delicious once cooked.
You can trial different flavours of ice cream if you want to change things up. For the best results, I recommend a smooth ice cream with minimal additions or chunks. My favourites so far are chocolate, strawberry, and vanilla!
Can I use low-fat or fat-free ice cream?
This is not recommended as the fat content allows the cake to become moist and fluffy. Think of the ice cream as a substitute for butter or oil!
Can I use dairy-free ice cream?
If you are using dairy-free ice cream, I recommend lactose-free ice cream only. Avoid coconut or alternative milk ice creams, as these tend to lead to a flat and dense mug cake.
How to Make a 2 Ingredient Mug Cake
This recipe really is as simple as it sounds.
- Mix together the melted ice cream and flour in a mug until smooth.
- Microwave until cooked.
There are some top tips you can follow to ace this recipe:
- Make sure to use a large mug (350 mL / 12.5 oz capacity or larger) to prevent your mug cake from overflowing.
- Stir the ice cream well at the beginning of the recipe to make sure it is fully melted before adding the flour.
- Use fresh, high-quality ingredients. Always check the expiry date!
- Adjust the required cooking time based on the strength and wattage of your microwave - mug cakes are very easy to over or under cook!
There are many ways to serve and enjoy a 2 ingredient mug cake! Here are a few serving suggestions:
- Top with whipped cream and fresh fruit: Once your cake is cooked, add a dollop of whipped cream and some sliced fresh fruit on top for a fun and fresh dessert.
- Add a drizzle of chocolate or caramel sauce: For an extra indulgent sweet treat, add a drizzle of chocolate or caramel sauce on top of the cake.
- Serve with (even more) ice cream: If you have some extra ice cream on hand, serve your mug cake with a scoop of ice cream on top.
- Enjoy with a cup of coffee or tea: Mug cakes are a perfect treat to enjoy with a cup of coffee or tea. Sip on your favourite hot drink while you indulge in cake!
- Customize with mix-ins: Feel free to get creative with your 2 ingredient mug cake! Add in some chocolate chips, nuts, or sprinkles to customize the flavour and texture of your cake.
No matter how you choose to serve your 2 ingredient mug cake, it's sure to be a delicious and easy treat that you'll want to make again and again.
- ½ cup high-quality vanilla ice cream
- ¼ cup self-raising flour
- In a large mug (350 mL / 12.5 oz capacity or larger), stir ice cream until it is very soft and resembles a thick paste. Add self-raising flour and stir until well combined. A few lumps don't matter.
- Microwave on full power for 90 seconds or until the top of the cake has bubbled and there is no visible raw batter. Top with more ice cream and your favourite toppings, if desired.
- This mug cake is best eaten fresh. It is not designed to keep well.
Substitutions & Tips
- Flour: you can substitute ¼ cup of self-raising flour for ¼ cup of plain flour combined with ½ teaspoon of baking powder.
- Can I use other flavours of ice cream? Yes! I recommend using flavours which aren't too 'chunky' to ensure the batter has enough liquid in it. Vanilla, chocolate, and cookies & cream all work well. Some flavours may taste artificial once cooked (like cotton candy). Make sure your ice cream is full-fat and high quality for the best results.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 Mug Cake
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 228Total Fat: 10.5gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 75mgSodium: 35mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 1gSugar: 14gProtein: 6g