Rocky road is my favourite last-minute sweet treat for parties, bake sales or just as an emergency snack! This rocky road is easy and delicious, and always pleases a crowd.
Using half milk and half dark chocolate makes for the perfect level of sweetness. I use roasted peanuts, toasted coconut, mini marshmallows and glace cherries, but you can use your favourite add-ins!
How To Make Rocky Road
Spread the coconut out on a baking tray and bake until golden.
Mix the toasted coconut with the mini marshmallows, peanuts and glace cherries in a large bowl.
Meanwhile, melt the chocolate in short bursts in the microwave until smooth and well combined.
Stir the dry ingredients into the melted chocolate.
Quickly press into the prepared tin.
Refrigerate for 1 hour or until chocolate has set. Slice up and enjoy!
- ½ cup desiccated coconut
- 1 ½ cups mini marshmallows
- ½ cup roasted peanuts
- 1 cup glace cherries, roughly chopped, optional
- 200 g (7 oz) block milk chocolate, roughly chopped
- 200 g (7 oz) block dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (355°F). Grease and line a small baking tray with baking paper. Spread coconut over the tray and bake for 5 minutes or until lightly toasted and golden. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, grease and line a 20 cm (8 inch) square cake tin with baking paper, ensuring at least 3 cm (1 inch) overhang for easy removal of the slice.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together toasted coconut, peanuts, marshmallows and cherries until well combined.
- In a separate large heat-proof bowl, combine chopped dark and milk chocolate. Microwave at full power for 1 minute. Stir. Microwave in further 30 second bursts, stirring well in-between, until chocolate is completely melted and smooth.
- Pour marshmallow mixture into the chocolate mixture and stir until all the ingredients are well coated in chocolate.
- Pour mixture into the prepared tin and press down evenly. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until chocolate has set. Remove from tin and slice into 16 even squares. Enjoy!
- You can keep rocky road un-refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. Keep in a cool place out of direct sunlight. If the rocky road begins to melt, store in the fridge.
Substitutions & Tips
- Chocolate: many chocolate chips aren't designed to be melted down. If you want to use chocolate chips instead of a block of chocolate, make sure they are high quality (not labelled 'compound' or 'candy melts').
- Using milk or dark chocolate: you can use any combination of milk and dark chocolate (blocks or chocolate chips) as long as it totals 400 g (14 oz). Using more milk chocolate will result in a sweeter rocky road while using more dark chocolate will result in a less sweet rocky road.
- Coconut: you can substitute desiccated coconut with shredded coconut.
- Peanuts: salted peanuts are fine. You can substitute peanuts with your favourite nuts or omit them entirely.
- Mini marshmallows: you can also use regular size marshmallows. Chop them into halves or quarters before using.
- Other delicious additions: chopped plain sweet biscuits, chopped Oreos, Turkish delight, Malteasers, jube candies, and chopped honeycomb.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1/16th of Rocky Road
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 239Total Fat: 11.9gSaturated Fat: 6.7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 29.1mgCarbohydrates: 28.7gFiber: 4.8gSugar: 15.2gProtein: 3.1g