Zucchini slice is one of those recipes I can make again and again! It's quick, easy, and always delicious.
Adding sun-dried tomatoes to this zucchini slice gives it a beautiful savoury flavour which pairs perfectly with onion, garlic, cheese and herbs.
This recipe makes a beautiful weeknight vegetarian meal. It's also keeps well in the freezer for an easy packed lunch.
- 6 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 2 medium zucchinis, coarsely grated
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoon crushed garlic
- ¼ cup sun dried tomatoes in oil, drained and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon oil from the jar of sun dried tomatoes, optional
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup grated tasty cheese / cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (355°F). Grease and line a 20 x 30 cm (8 x 12 inch) slice pan with baking paper, ensuring there's at least 3 cm (1 inch) overhang for easy removal of the slice.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs and milk. Whisk together until well combined. Sift over flour and whisk until smooth.
- Add zucchinis, onion, garlic, sun dried tomatoes, oil, cheeses and salt and pepper.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and evenly risen. Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- You can keep the slice refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- To freeze the slice, allow to cool completely then slice into squares. Store flat (not stacked or they'll stick together) in zip-loc or freezer bags. Keep for up to 6 months frozen. To thaw, allow to defrost at room temperature for 6 hours or overnight. If you take out a couple of squares in the morning, they should be defrosted by lunch time.
Substitutions & Tips
- Oil: the oil from the jar of sun-dried tomatoes is incredibly flavoursome and gives the slice extra flavour. You can substitute 2 tablespoon of any type of vegetable oil or melted butter, or use 2 tablespoon of cream or milk.
- Flour: you can replace 1 cup of self-raising flour with 1 cup of plain flour combined with 2 teaspoon of baking powder.
- This slice is also delicious if you add 2 rashers of bacon (finely diced).
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1/12th of Slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 152Total Fat: 7.8gSaturated Fat: 2.1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 97.5mgSodium: 210.2mgCarbohydrates: 12.5gFiber: 1.2gSugar: 1.6gProtein: 7.9g