I never understood all the rage over bar cookies... but then these chocolate chip cookie bars came along.
And I'm not kidding when I say I fell in love instantly. These are chewy, chocolatey perfection. Plus, they take just a fraction of the time to make compared to regular cookies!
You can have these prepared with one bowl in 15 minutes. No electric mixer required! Make sure you have a couple of friends around... these are ridiculously addictive!
- 200 g (7 oz / ¾ cup + 2 tbsp) unsalted butter, melted
- ¾ cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 cups plain flour / all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups (300 g / 10.5 oz) dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- Preheat the oven to 170°C / 340°F (fan-forced/convection) or 190°C / 375°F (standard). Grease and line a 20 x 30 cm (8 x 12 inch) slice pan with baking paper, ensuring there's at least a 3 cm (1 inch) of overhang for easy removal of the slice.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the melted butter and sugars until well combined. Stir in the egg and vanilla.
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt and stir until a soft dough comes together. Stir through 1 cup of chocolate chips.
- Press the mixture into the prepared pan and sprinkle over the remaining ½ cup of chocolate chips. Bake for 17-20 minutes or until the dough has puffed up and is golden brown around the edges (bake closer towards 17 minutes for softer, more gooey bars). Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the pan before slicing.
- You can keep the bars stored in an airtight container for up to 7 days.
Substitutes & Tips
- Butter: you can substitute unsalted butter with salted butter and omit the added salt.
- Chocolate: you can substitute the chocolate chips for 300 g (11.5 oz) of roughly chopped dark chocolate blocks. You can also use milk or white chocolate, however note that this will make the bars a lot sweeter.
- Servings suggestions: these bars are incredible warmed up with ice cream!
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1/15th of the Whole Slab
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 342Total Fat: 17.7gSaturated Fat: 10.9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3.8gCholesterol: 49.1mgSodium: 205.3mgCarbohydrates: 44.6gFiber: 2.1gSugar: 30.1gProtein: 3.9g