This festive White Christmas Rocky Road brings together the best Christmas flavours in an easy and addictive slice! I love giving this rocky road out as a gift for family and friends. It always gets rave reviews.
Best of all, it takes less than 15 minutes to make and requires just a few simple ingredients to put together. Feel free to add or substitute your favourite ingredients, I promise it will still taste delicious!
What is Rocky Road?
Rocky Road is happiness in square form! It's made with a mixture of chocolate, marshmallows, and nuts all packed together into a delicious, chewy bar. They're great for snacking on the go, or for satisfying that sweet tooth when you just need a little pick-me-up.
Ingredients in White Christmas Rocky Road
- Dried cranberries / craisins: cranberries give you a lovely red festive colour and a sweet fruity burst throughout the bar. Check out the Variations section of this article for alternatives.
- Shelled pistachios (I use unsalted): gives you lovely flecks of green and a smooth, nutty flavour. Using salted pistachios will cut through the sweetness of the slice. You can also use almonds, macadamias, or other nuts.
- Desiccated coconut: I use finely desiccated coconut. You can use shredded or regular desiccated coconut too. For extra flavour, toast your coconut before adding to the slice.
- Mini marshmallows: or use large marshmallows chopped into quarters.
- Mixed glacé cherries, optional
- White chocolate: use bars, melts, or choc chips.
How to Make White Christmas Rocky Road
Making rocky road couldn't be any easier! It's as easy as 1-2-3.
- Melt the white chocolate.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Set in the pan.
Here are a few fun variations:
- Mint Rocky Road: chop up mint chocolate bars or cookies for a refreshing twist.
- Peanut Butter Rocky Road: Swap out the almonds for peanuts or peanut butter for a nutty twist.
- Cookies & Cream Rocky Road: Crushed Oreo cookies are added to the mix for a crunchy texture.
- S'mores Rocky Road: Graham crackers and mini marshmallows are added to the mix for a taste of the classic campfire treat.
- Raspberry Rocky Road: A fruity twist with the addition of chopped raspberry Jubes or raspberry flavoured marshmallows.
- Dark Chocolate Rocky Road: For chocolate lovers, the use of dark chocolate intensifies the chocolate flavour.
- Persian Rocky Road: use any combination of chopped Turkish Delight, rose petals, pistachios, or even top with Persian fairy floss!
- Honeycomb Rocky Road: add chopped honeycomb chunks for a sweet and crunchy addition.
These are just a few examples! The possibilities are endless, so go ahead and get creative with your own Rocky Road variations.
You can keep rocky road un-refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. Keep in a cool place out of direct sunlight. If the rocky road begins to melt, store in the fridge.
- ½ cup (65 g) dried cranberries / Craisins
- ½ cup (70 g) shelled pistachios (I use unsalted)
- ½ cup (50 g) desiccated coconut
- 1 ½ (100 g) cups mini marshmallows
- ½ cup (100 g) mixed glacé cherries, optional
- 500 g (17.5 oz / approx. 2 ½ heaped cups) white chocolate chips (or melts / chopped blocks)
- Grease and line a 20 cm (8 inch) square cake tin with baking paper. Make sure the tin is well lined so you can easily remove the rocky road.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together cranberries, pistachios, coconut, marshmallows and glace cherries (if using).
- Place white chocolate In a separate large heat-proof bowl. Microwave at full power for 1 minute. Stir. Microwave in further 30 second bursts, stirring well in-between, until chocolate is completely melted and smooth.
- Pour marshmallow mixture into the melted chocolate and stir until all the ingredients are well coated in chocolate.
- Working quickly, pour mixture into the prepared tin and press down evenly. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until chocolate has set. To make the rocky road easier to slice, leave it at room temperature for 30 minutes before cutting into squares.
- Please note that my recipes are measured in metric cups and spoons which are larger than US cups and spoons. Most recipes will be fine if measured in US cups and spoons, but please use the weight (grams) measurement for the most accurate result.
- You can keep rocky road un-refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. Keep in a cool place out of direct sunlight. If the rocky road begins to melt, store in the fridge.
Substitutions & Tips
- Can I use milk or dark chocolate? These flavours work best with white chocolate. Here is a recipe for regular rocky road.
- Mini marshmallows: you can also use regular size marshmallows. Chop them into halves or quarters before using. You should have 1 ½ cups of chopped marshmallows.
- Other delicious additions: chopped plain sweet biscuits, chopped Oreos, Turkish delight, Maltesers, jube candies, and chopped honeycomb.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 Square
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 258Total Fat: 14.3gSaturated Fat: 8.9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 19.2mgCarbohydrates: 30.1gFiber: 1.2gSugar: 28.3gProtein: 2.5g