This festive White Christmas Rocky Road brings together the best Christmas flavours in an easy and addictive slice! I love giving this rocky road out as a gift for family and friends. It always gets rave reviews.
Best of all, it takes less than 15 minutes to make and requires just a few simple ingredients to put together. Feel free to add or substitute your favourite ingredients, I promise it will still taste delicious!
What is Rocky Road?
Rocky Road is happiness in square form! It's made with a mixture of chocolate, marshmallows, and nuts all packed together into a delicious, chewy bar. They're great for snacking on the go, or for satisfying that sweet tooth when you just need a little pick-me-up.
Ingredients in White Christmas Rocky Road
- Dried cranberries / craisins: cranberries give you a lovely red festive colour and a sweet fruity burst throughout the bar. Check out the Variations section of this article for alternatives.
- Shelled pistachios (I use unsalted): gives you lovely flecks of green and a smooth, nutty flavour. Using salted pistachios will cut through the sweetness of the slice. You can also use almonds, macadamias, or other nuts.
- Desiccated coconut: I use finely desiccated coconut. You can use shredded or regular desiccated coconut too. For extra flavour, toast your coconut before adding to the slice.
- Mini marshmallows: or use large marshmallows chopped into quarters.
- Mixed glacé cherries, optional
- White chocolate: use bars, melts, or choc chips.
How to Make White Christmas Rocky Road
Making rocky road couldn't be any easier! It's as easy as 1-2-3.
- Melt the white chocolate.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Set in the pan.
Here are a few fun variations:
- Mint Rocky Road: chop up mint chocolate bars or cookies for a refreshing twist.
- Peanut Butter Rocky Road: Swap out the almonds for peanuts or peanut butter for a nutty twist.
- Cookies & Cream Rocky Road: Crushed Oreo cookies are added to the mix for a crunchy texture.
- S'mores Rocky Road: Graham crackers and mini marshmallows are added to the mix for a taste of the classic campfire treat.
- Raspberry Rocky Road: A fruity twist with the addition of chopped raspberry Jubes or raspberry flavoured marshmallows.
- Dark Chocolate Rocky Road: For chocolate lovers, the use of dark chocolate intensifies the chocolate flavour.
- Persian Rocky Road: use any combination of chopped Turkish Delight, rose petals, pistachios, or even top with Persian fairy floss!
- Honeycomb Rocky Road: add chopped honeycomb chunks for a sweet and crunchy addition.
These are just a few examples! The possibilities are endless, so go ahead and get creative with your own Rocky Road variations.
You can keep rocky road un-refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. Keep in a cool place out of direct sunlight. If the rocky road begins to melt, store in the fridge.
- ½ cup dried cranberries / Craisins
- ½ cup shelled pistachios (I use unsalted)
- ½ cup desiccated coconut
- 1 ½ cups mini marshmallows
- ½ cup mixed glacé cherries, optional
- 500 g (17.5 oz / approx. 2 ½ heaped cups) white chocolate chips (or melts / chopped blocks)
- Grease and line a 20 cm (8 inch) square cake tin with baking paper. Make sure the tin is well lined so you can easily remove the rocky road.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together cranberries, pistachios, coconut, marshmallows and glace cherries (if using).
- Place white chocolate In a separate large heat-proof bowl. Microwave at full power for 1 minute. Stir. Microwave in further 30 second bursts, stirring well in-between, until chocolate is completely melted and smooth.
- Pour marshmallow mixture into the melted chocolate and stir until all the ingredients are well coated in chocolate.
- Working quickly, pour mixture into the prepared tin and press down evenly. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until chocolate has set. To make the rocky road easier to slice, leave it at room temperature for 30 minutes before cutting into squares.
- You can keep rocky road un-refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. Keep in a cool place out of direct sunlight. If the rocky road begins to melt, store in the fridge.
Substitutions & Tips
- Can I use milk or dark chocolate? These flavours work best with white chocolate. Here is a recipe for regular rocky road.
- Mini marshmallows: you can also use regular size marshmallows. Chop them into halves or quarters before using. You should have 1 ½ cups of chopped marshmallows.
- Other delicious additions: chopped plain sweet biscuits, chopped Oreos, Turkish delight, Malteasers, jube candies, and chopped honeycomb.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 Square
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 258Total Fat: 14.3gSaturated Fat: 8.9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 19.2mgCarbohydrates: 30.1gFiber: 1.2gSugar: 28.3gProtein: 2.5g